Your skin plays a vital role in protecting your body. A good skin care regime does not need to be complicated or time-consuming and once you have it mastered it will become second nature.
By following a few protection tips, your skin will look and feel awesome. These tips can help guard against chapped skin, dryness, to premature aging and even skin cancer.
Tips to protecting your skin:
1. Keep hydrated – an essential element of protection is by keeping your skin moist. Properly hydrated skin retains its elasticity which prevents chapped, scaly, or flaky skin.
· Drinking plenty of water will keep the epidermis well hydrated which is critical for a healthy glow.
· Select the right moisturizing cream and lotions produced for your skin type. Apply this right after drying off from your SkinCell PRO shower or bath while the skin pores are still open. Products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate should be avoided as this ingredient removes the natural oils needed by the skin.
· While the thought of a long hot shower or bath sounds relaxing, exposure to water actually dries out the skin. Take warm showers or baths and limit them to 5 – 10 minutes long. For persistent dry skin, cut back on the number of baths you take.
2. Minimize sun exposure – the sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause skin damage such as wrinkles, freckles, age spots, discoloration, benign growths, and skin cancer. One of the best ways to aid in keeping your skin looking fresh and youthful is by using a skin care product that offers ultraviolet protection.
· Use sunscreen every day and whenever outdoors for extended periods of time. Remember to reapply regularly.
· Wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, and wide-brimmed hats to cover your skin.
· The sun is at its intensity between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., so it’s recommended to stay indoors.
· Tanning beds emit ultraviolet rays and are just as harmful as direct sunlight.
3. Practice gentle skin care – removing dirt, oils, germs and dead skin cells is essential and can be accomplished by washing the face. On the other hand, scrubbing the face can cause irritation leading to chapped skin leaving it vulnerable.
· With warm water and a mild cleanser wash your face twice daily.
· Using a washcloth with a circular motion gently massage your face.
· Remove all soap and debris by rinsing thoroughly after washing.
· Don’t rub, pat the skin dry, and then apply facial moisturizer.
4. Safeguard your health – viral infections can affect the skin bordering the lips causing cold sores, while bacteria can increase the risk of acne and other skin conditions. By paying close attention to what touches your skin can lower the chances of exposure to germs and protects your skin.
· Don’t let others drink from your glass or cup.
· Lip balms or toothbrushes should never be shared.
· Abstain from touching your face with your fingers or with objects.
5. Look at your skin – any odd looking freckles, moles and growths on your skin should be paid peculiar attention to. Consult a doctor if any of these have changed as this may be a sign of skin cancer. To avoid infections be sure to treat any cuts, scratches or burns. For inflamed or irritated dry skin, skin rashes, frequent acne or other irritations that won’t go away, consulting a dermatologist may be warranted.
Properly protecting your skin comes down to a few simple steps. However, if you should notice any problems that do not improve over time then get medical attention. Avoiding putting your skin at risk is crucial.